A quiet sacred place

As I watched the Notre Dame claim a victory, I could not help but think of Coach Weis and his wife Maura, Charlie Jr. and sweet Hannah. I was watching the game with my precious son and his wonderful neighbors at Hannah and Friends Farm in the beautiful Eck Rec Facility. My son just recently became a resident there this summer.

My autistic son will never graduate from Notre Dame like I did, but he graduated to becoming independent at the Jon Bon Jovi home with support from Mosaic staff and Hannah and Friends staff. Having autism, a communication disorder and auditory processing difficulties, he greets each new day with enthusiasm and hope. My son is my champion. I am proud of his many accomplishments at his ripe age of 22. He has become a leader, and helps his friends at the Day programs at Hannah and Friends — a quiet sacred place not far from campus, where miracles happen daily. This is one place every student needs to visit before they graduate from the University of Notre Dame.

Come and see the legacy the Weis family left. A place where angels walking the earth are respected, celebrated and loved unconditionally. Come and say hello to the welcoming residents — they will make your heart smile. When you leave, you can say a prayer at the grotto of Mother Mary donated by the Golic family. I will never forget the legacy the Weis family left us, and when my time comes to meet my Almighty Maker, I know my son will be taken care of.

Until then, it's just 2.8 miles away to visit my favorite hero.

Katherine Robinson Coleman

alumna

Class of 1978

Oct. 11