ND Women's Golf: Junior Allare leads Irish on and off the golf course

In college golf tournaments, the top five scores compose the total team score. While the sixth score may not count in terms of numbers, for the Irish, number six counts for a whole lot more.

Junior Katie Allare, from Phoenix, Ariz., has been playing golf since a very young age. What began as a pastime quickly became much more for Allare at an age when most people have barely played more than a game of miniature golf.

"I began playing golf when I was really young, but I started taking it seriously when I was about twelve because I started competing," Allare said.

From then on, the game became a large part of her life, as she left high school with four varsity letters. But when she was not golfing, she hit the books, remaining an honor roll student throughout high school, something she has continued since enrolling at Notre Dame

"After college I think I'm going to law school," Allare said.

As a political science major, she has managed to balance the two worlds of athletics and academics, tackling an equilibrium that many athletes struggle to maintain.

"It's made keeping up with grades much harder, but I love being able to compete for the university," Allare said.

Strong family ties pushed Allare to Notre Dame, who is surrounded by stories of her dad and uncle, both Notre Dame graduates. Her younger brother is here as well, which makes Phoenix seem far closer than a map may show.

"The best experience outside of golf has been tailgating with my family every home football game," Allare said. "We throw great tailgates, and I love hanging out with my family and my friends at the same time."

In her most recent competition, Allare competed independently, but she pushed her teammates the entire way. She finished tied for 68th with a score of 235 in 54 holes, just three strokes behind Irish senior Katie Conway.

Last year Allare competed in the Big East Championship as a member of the starting five, which she remembers as her best individual college experience thus far. However, when it comes to her favorite part about playing for Notre Dame, the answer is easy.

"I love the team trips — it's just so much fun to spend time with the team," Allare said.

While her score may not count in the record books, that is not what counts when it comes to Allare's participation and memories with the Irish.