Our Notre Dame family

Since before I was a student at Notre Dame, I've heard of the incredible strength and unmatched support felt once a part of the Notre Dame Family. Never has the truth of that statement been more apparent to me than last night, as I sat at the Grotto and witnessed the silent strength of our student body grieving the loss of our classmate, Declan Sullivan.

I saw you, girls from the 6 chick down the hall, lined up along the pew, sharing in the grief and supporting one another. I saw you, couple from Calculus class, gazing at the flickering candles, and holding hands in prayer. I saw you, boy from my engineering class last semester, light a candle for your lost classmate. I saw you, groups of friends and sections of dorms, gathered in prayer. Then, I saw you, men of Fisher Hall. I saw you walk together and stand in support of one another. And I witnessed you all say a decade of the rosary.

The final words of the memorial, I could not hear, because the most magnificent and mighty wind gust blew. The blast of wind swirled leaves and howled so loudly; I closed my eyes. And when it ended, there was a calm. And I opened my eyes and saw the Grotto filled with people, and I know everyone there felt God's presence in that windblast.

Seeing my classmates support one another was a beautiful thing. At times, I could not see the light of candles because of the number of people gathered to pray together. Fr. Jenkins said mass at Lewis last night, and he encouraged us to reach out to one another in this time of great sorrow. Seeing so many of the Notre Dame Family, uniting in prayer and supporting one another, was a reminder of what a strong bond we all share, and what a blessing it is to be a part of it. We are Notre Dame.

Kimberly Bonnet

sophomore

Lewis Hall

Oct. 28