Outage hits Inn, South Dining Hall, West Quad
Observer Staff Report | Monday, October 11, 2010
Around 200 guests evacuated the Morris Inn and several campus buildings suffered a power outage early Saturday morning after a water build-up caused electrical problems.
University spokesman Dennis Brown said the Morris Inn was evacuated around 4:45 a.m. Saturday.
“There was some flickering lights at the Morris Inn and there was some smoke, and they could smell something burning,” he said.
Officials found that the smoke and the burning smell came from a motor on an air conditioning unit. The unit was turned off and guests were allowed to return to their rooms after five to 10 minutes, Brown said.
The source of the problem was a water build-up in an electrical manhole located north of Keough Hall. In order to fix the problem, power was shut off in five campus buildings, he said.
The Morris Inn, South Dining Hall, Welsh Family Hall, Duncan Hall and Keough Hall were affected by the power outage.
Brown said the University used the campus public address system to alert people in the affected buildings that power would be turned off.
Power was turned off around 7 a.m. and was restored by 10 a.m. in the Morris Inn, South Dining Hall and Duncan Hall. It was restored in Keough and Welsh Family Halls by around 2 p.m.