Pangborn's Heisman contender

No one would expect a quarterback like Heisman favorite Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson to wear high, fluorescent green socks, sport a soccer-style headband to hold back wild hair or even have tied shoes.

But it wouldn't require a double take to know that Pangborn senior quarterback Gabby Tate isn't Robinson, despite her on-field exploits as a dual threat quarterback.

Sunday, Tate threw for 154 yards and two touchdowns and ran for 87 yards (72 of these yards came in the first half) and a touchdown in the Phoxes (2-1) 19-0 win over defensive-minded Pasquerilla East.

With a combination of short passing routes and a hurry-up style of offense, Tate feels at home.

"We have a really fast team that practices a lot together and knows the no-huddle system really well," Tate said. "We each know each other's style in the game and it definitely flows well."

That flow has led to a 2-1 record and a victory over a tough Pasquerilla East (1-2) defense that had two interceptions for touchdowns in a shutout win over Badin a week ago. Tate attributes the success to her receiving corps but they defer the responsibility to her.

"Gabby is a really great quarterback who keeps us going throughout the game," said junior wide receiver Liz Pawlak, who was on the receiving end of a 40-yard touchdown toss from Tate. "Hopefully with her we can shine through the playoffs."

The ultimate goal remains the playoffs, which seems likely for a balanced Pangborn attack. But it makes one think: Is Notre Dame ready for the emergence of a new G. Tate? Pangborn sure is.