Pep band pride

Dear Members of the Notre Dame Marching Band,

It was not a typical pep rally Saturday on Oct. 3. Some of our fans had walkers and wheelchairs and needed assistance to get to their seats, but believe me when I say that there are no bigger Irish fans than the Sisters of the Holy Cross at Saint Mary's Convent! We have been so fortunate for the past five years to have Marching Band members come to the convent. Not only do you perform like you are at the stadium, but you interact with the sisters and that's what makes the yearly event so anticipated by all. It's not only the "Notre Dame Victory March" being played, but it's your passion for life that you bring when you visit the Sisters in the Lillie O'Grady Center. That passion for life comes through sharing stories about your hometowns, classes and facts about being a member of the marching band — and, of course, your thoughts on whether Notre Dame is going to win the game.

This year was by far the best, due to service commissioner Caitlin O'Neill's leadership. She arranged for 84 of you (a third of the band) to play for the Sisters, a decorating and clean-up committee, and speakers to motivate the senior crowd. There was assistance from the junior leprechaun, the cheerleaders and the Notre Dame/Saint Mary's Circle K Service Group.

As we (assistant band director Emmett O'Leary, who started this event, and our non-student volunteers) looked around the room, saw the Sisters' smiles, watched them clap along to the music and learn how to form the "K," our hearts swelled with pride to see how you give of yourselves. We thank and respect each of you — along with band director Dr. Kenneth Dye, Emmett O'Leary, Caitlin and everyone involved — for your selfless service that brings such joy to the Sisters.

Sincerely yours,

Sr. Margie Lavonis

Sisters of the Holy Cross

St. Mary's

Oct. 8