COR discusses Off-Campus Council

Members of the Council of Representatives (COR) considered changing the Off- Campus Council's constitution at Tuesday's meeting.

Last week, representatives agreed the electoral procedure and structure of the Off- Campus Council are unclear and not effective, so last night, off-campus president Ryan Hawley presented a list of changes.

The first of these changes came in response to a suggestion at last week's meeting to have an overlap when the leadership changes, so the outgoing president would have the ability to familiarize the president-elect with the position.

"We did a few things with changing the way the Off-Campus Council works and functions," Hawley said. "We've created a title of off-campus president ex-officio … it will basically just assist the elected president during the last month."

If the changes are approved, voting for off-campus positions will be expanded, and the Council will begin to utilize off-campus ambassadors.

"People who are currently on campus but moving off can now vote and run," Hawley said.

"Off-campus ambassadors, we've basically added a whole section to define what they are."

According to the resolution, a minimum of six "off-campus ambassadors will be appointed to various off-campus neighborhoods ... ambassadors represent the opinions of this appointed area and disseminate information in such a way that it is readily accessible to residents of the area."

Student body president Catherine Soler said she hoped the resolution will be approved when it goes before the Student Senate next Wednesday.

Members also posed possible modifications to the Student Activities Office (SAO) procedure for reserving venues and approving programing.

"Sometimes we find it difficult to program on this campus for many reasons. Costs are too high, or sometimes you can't see the venues before you submit the SAO request," Soler said. "We're looking for what would make it easier to plan events, collaborate with people, to save money."

Some possible remedies discussed by representatives include assembling a print collection of discounts offered by local businesses as well as consolidating venue information.

"What we want to do is try to create a booklet that contains offers that various places have given us that we can give to student groups," Soler said.

Senior Class Council president Kate Clitheroe said she thought the problem lies in publicity for programming.

"I think we have all the resources we need to plan events. I think it's more a problem of advertising," she said. "If we want to help with programming we need help with advertising."