Football: Two quarterback recruits to visit campus this weekend

One game removed from losing its starting quarterback for the season, Notre Dame now has two four-star quarterback recruits visiting for the weekend.

North Carolina verbal commitment Everett Golson announced his plans to visit earlier in the season, but Florida native Jacoby Brissett only announced his plans Thursday, after this week's "Irish Insider" had gone to print.

"[Brisset] is another four-star, big-time quarterback," said Mike Frank, an Irish recruiting analyst who runs the ESPN-affiliated irishsportsdailycom. "He can run, but he also comes from more of a pro-style offense in high school.

"He just came back from watching the LSU vs. Alabama game, and has an LSU offer, so this is a big-time player," Frank said. "I think he just wants to check [Notre Dame] out. He is a good student, and let's be honest, this is a very good opportunity for a quarterback. With [Irish junior quarterback]

Dayne [Crist] out, a quarterback could come in and have a chance to play right away, and every quarterback is looking for that opportunity."

Joining the quarterbacks in visiting this weekend is an offensive tackle who could someday be protecting them. Frank said Jay Whitmire could fit in well with the type of recruiting class Irish coach Brian Kelly and his staff are putting together.

"He's a guy who's a pretty big kid and plays physical at the point of attack," Frank said. "Notre Dame has kind of struggled in the run game, so they need to get that nasty disposition on the offensive line, and I think that is what they see in Whitmire."

Whitmire, Golson and Brissett could join a recruiting class that includes numerous four-star recruits such as running back Justice Hayes and defensive end Stephon Tuitt.

"There are a lot of fantastic players in this class," Frank said. "But more importantly, what exists in this class that I don't think has previously, it is a class full of tough kids, that are very physical and can run. I think the one thing Brian Kelly is really trying to fix is the tough mentality you need to have to win games at this level. From that standpoint, he couldn't do a better job of getting that kind of player who will turn this around."