Law student gives relationship advice

Her name is Ayelet Regev, but her fans know her as Emma Woodhouse.

This third-year law student gives relationship advice on her radio show and self-created website under the penname based on the matchmaking Jane Austen character.

"It's a cheeky play on words," Regev said.

Her radio show, titled "Emma's Dilemma," airs Thursday nights at 7 p.m. on Notre Dame's student-run radio channel, WVFI.

Regev, who has a degree in Gender Studies and sociology, deals with relationships on a basic human level rather than focusing solely on romantic relationships,

"Dealing with people, understanding them, it really is so important," she said. "We teach math, science … Why don't we teach more about relationships?"

Originally from Israel, Regev used her interpersonal skills to deal with the cultural transition when she moved to the United States. Now, she uses that same skill set to help people navigate their own relationship issues.

"I see it all as part of one big thing," Regev said. "It's really holistic, how to deal with people and one's relationship with other people."

Her website, finallygetit.com, launched about a year and a half ago. On the site, people can get personalized relationship advice. People also contact her through her Facebook and ask questions, Regev said.

She decided to do a radio show on WVFI so she could answer the broader relationship questions that many people have.

"People deal with these issues all the time," Regev said.

WVFI station manager Nicolle Walkling, a senior, said most of the shows on WVFI are music-based and the talk shows usually revolved around sports or entertainment. So Walkling thought a relationship advice show sounded like a great idea.

"We're always looking to expand the scope of the station." Walkling said. "This show is really interactive and not only includes the campus community, but the wider South Bend community as well."

Regev has also written two relationship books. One is geared toward women and the other for men. The books explain the principles of relationships and their ultimate goal is to help people understand the mechanisms that create a relationship, Regev said.

"I don't tell a person what they want," Regev said. "I try to figure out what they want and help them reach their end goal."