Police to examine gameday arrest

St. Joseph County Police will conduct an internal investigation into the circumstances surrounding the arrest of a Notre Dame student at an on-campus tailgate Saturday, according to a St. Joseph County Police press release issued Monday.

St. Joseph County Police Sgt. Randy Kaps, a 19-year veteran of the department, arrested a 21-year-old male student for public intoxication at approximately 2 p.m. Saturday, the release stated.

The release referenced a third-party video of the arrest, which a Notre Dame student posted on YouTube Saturday night. The video received more than 10,000 views before it was made private Monday afternoon.

"Our department was made aware of the YouTube video early [Monday] morning depicting the arrest," the press release stated. "Our administration has viewed the video. At this time, we are gathering further information relating to the circumstances leading to the arrest of the suspect in the video."

The release also stated the investigation would look at other evidence and accounts of the arrest.

"The information to be considered includes police reports from other police officers at the scene, as well as other video obtained of the incident which may have been captured by security cameras on campus," the release said.

After the student's arrest, police transported the student to the holding facility at Notre Dame Stadium before booking him into St. Joseph County Jail. He was released from jail on $150 bond and is scheduled to appear in court Dec. 2.

In a statement Monday, University spokesman Dennis Brown praised past cooperation between Notre Dame Security Police and St. Joseph County Police on football weekends.

"The University, local law enforcement agencies and our fans have worked in a spirit of cooperation the past two years to create an environment on football weekends, that, by all accounts has been overwhelmingly positive," Brown said.

Brown said the University is aware of St. Joseph County Police's investigation of the arrest Saturday.

"We know that the incident that occurred Saturday is under review by the St. Joseph County Sheriff's Department in order to fully understand all of the circumstances surrounding the confrontation," Brown said. "University leaders will closely monitor the conclusions of that review, but believe that the positive momentum of the last two seasons will not be derailed by a single incident."

Notre Dame Security Police declined to comment Monday about this and other gameday arrests.