Thanks for that

Writing for Scene and Sports gives me the welcome opportunity to explore my many passions for The Observer on a regular basis. With Thanksgiving only days away, I wish to use this space to give thanks for my many sports and pop culture blessings of the last several months, for which I am incredibly thankful.

I am thankful for "Harry Potter." It may seem mundane to some, but Harry has been my friend since the ripe age of 8, growing up with me. Though the books will always be closest to my heart, I had no problems dressing up and heading to the theater at midnight last Thursday night (or Friday morning) to see a film that I can finally say does justice to the books. And I am thankful that the ride is not quite over yet.

I am thankful for two wins in a row from the Irish football team. We all know this season has been tough. But rushing the field after the Utah win was, without a doubt, one of the highlights of my time at Notre Dame. And, as a Chicago Cubs fan, I have no trouble saying, "Next year is the year."

I am thankful for Gwyneth Paltrow's guest spot on "Glee." "Glee" was once one of my favorite shows, consistently turning out fantastic television week after week. Despite being severely lackluster this season, I watch "Glee" every week, waiting for the moment when it will again inspire me to jump up and sing along. That moment came in last week's episode, when Gwyneth Paltrow rocked the episode and reinstilled my faith in "Glee." Has it regained its former glory yet? Nope. But the episode gave me hope that, one day, it just might.

I am thankful for the 2010 FIFA World Cup, which provided two fantastic weeks of soccer-watching that made my summer great.

I am thankful for what promises to be a fantastic holiday movie season. Come December, you will find me sitting in the movie theater watching "Black Swan" or "The Tempest" or "Tron: Legacy" or a handful of other films that make me almost as excited as presents under the Christmas tree.

I am thankful that, as of Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, I can officially start playing Christmas music all the time.

I am thankful for the Chicago Bears' 7-3 record. Despite Jay Cutler's supreme inconsistency, the Bears are at the top of the NFC North and, should a good quarterback ever show up, have the potential to be a truly fantastic team.

I am thankful for my can't-miss weekly TV shows, which provide a little structure to my sometimes-chaotic life. That means you, "Modern Family," "Parenthood" and "The Vampire Diaries."

I am thankful for "Bill Brink," the Pandora playlist lovingly crafted by the man himself, which helps the Observer staff get through many long nights with relative sanity.

And, most of all, I am thankful for my friends, my family, my Notre Dame family and the fantastic Observer staff that I have the pleasure to work with every day. You guys make working until the wee hours of the morning in the South Dining Hall basement more enjoyable than it has any right to be.

The views expressed in the Inside Column are those of the author and not necessarily those of The Observer.

Contact Maija Gustin at mgustin@nd.edu