Women's Rowing: Fall season concludes with Ohio St. scrimmage

The Irish will conclude their fall season Sunday against Big Ten competitors Michigan State, Ohio State and Indiana in a scrimmage hosted by the Buckeyes in Columbus.

Coming off a scrimmage last weekend against the Hoosiers, Notre Dame will face a tougher lineup this weekend, according to Irish coach Martin Stone.

"We're scrimmaging against two teams who were in the NCAAs last year — Michigan State and Ohio State," he said.

"We're excited to face some very, very fine programs."

The scrimmage format allows the Irish to test various crew combinations in true racing format against tough competition without any of the results actually counting. Stone said his squad is eager to improve upon last week's showing.

"We're excited. We're looking to row a little faster than last weekend and move along," Stone said.

Stone also praised the efforts of his rowers in practice this

week as they prepared for the final event before the winter offseason.

"I like the way people are rowing," he said. "All week long the kids have been rowing very nicely. It's been going well."

Stone has another reason to be confident this week. Amanda Polk, a former rower of Stone's and a 2008 Notre Dame graduate, won a gold medal with the United States eight at the 2010 World Championships on Lake Karapiro in New Zealand Saturday.

Polk now has four international medals to her credit, including three golds.

"It's really great for the program to have a graduate as a world champion," Stone said. "We're all very proud of her."

Races for the current version of Irish women's rowing begin Sunday at 12 p.m. in Columbus, Ohio.