A letter to the champs

Dear Ladies,

I started off the year by writing you a letter, so I figured I should end it with one. First of all, I want to say thank you. Thank you for memories, the championship and an experience that I will remember for the rest of my life. Most of all, thank you for being the amazing group of young ladies you are. You are finally getting the recognition and respect you deserve after being overlooked by so many. The NCAA selection committee did it when deemed you worthy of only a No. 4 seed. The media focused on an undefeated Stanford team and the two Cinderella stories of Boston College and Ohio State at the College Cup. Our own school cared more about [insert football player's name] blowing his nose or [insert basketball player's name] raising his hand in class while you kept working hard perfecting your game outside of the spotlight. Now you have the respect you've earned — the same respect you forced North Carolina, Ohio State, and Stanford into giving you. I saw the ups, downs, good, bad, ugly, blood, sweat, tears and any other cliché you can think of and witnessed you handle everything with class, responding only with your play on the field. Whether you know it or not, you've impacted the lives of those around you. Just think back to those little girls lining up for autographs after home games and one in particular who dragged her family to North Carolina during a snow storm just to be with you when you won it all. This championship also impacts the list of great players who came before you and never took the trophy home. Then there is the impact you've had on me. At the beginning of the season I asked you to let me be a part of your team, but you made me a part of your family. For that, I will be forever grateful. You truly exemplify all that Notre Dame stands for and the university is proud to call you ours. Seniors, you went out on top. Everyone else, this is only the beginning. Congratulations on your title.

Your manager and biggest fan,

"Paco"

Aaron Gutierrez

senior

off-campus

Dec. 6