National champs receive warm welcome

Girl power reigned supreme Sunday as the Notre Dame women's soccer team won its third national championship in Cary, N.C. The Irish defeated the Stanford Cardinal 1-0.

Sophomore Joey Beglane said the win was significant considering the time and commitment the members of the team put into their victory.

"Any time we can win a national championship is an impressive feat," he said. "There is a lot that goes into it, like practices and recruiting."

Sophomore Erin Fisher said her dorm, Pasquerilla East, actively followed the team through the season. She said this contributed to her excitement for the victory.

"It's been really fun to watch their progress through the season," she said. "We've done game watches in our dorm and attended a bunch of the games, so seeing them reach this final accomplishment is incredible."

Fisher said watching the game with her dorm contributed to the thrill of a national championship victory.

"There was an amazing energy in my dorm after we won," she said. "Our women's team has always been so good, so it's so exciting to win the national championship."

Freshman Julia Teixeira said she was particularly excited to watch the game as her roommate, Elizabeth Tucker, is a freshman on the team.

"It was definitely nerve-wracking with all the shots that went off the goalpost. It was pretty intense," she said. "They totally deserved to win and to take the victory."

Teixeira said once the Irish scored, she noticed the team's confidence pick up on the field.

"It was great to see how happy they were when they scored," she said. "Once you get a goal on the board, it really helps you believe you belong there."

Beglane said he was particularly impressed by the efforts of freshmen on both sides of the field.

"The fact that a freshman [Adriana Leon] scored a goal was pretty cool," he said. "The Stanford goalie [freshman Emily Oliver] was amazing. It could have easily been two or three to nothing if it wasn't for her."

Senior Kaitie McCabe said she was particularly thrilled about the national championship win because of the team involved.

"I think it's a great way to boost interest in sports other than football," she said. "When teams like soccer or hockey win, it encourages students to go and cheer for athletes other than football players."

Sophomore Lewis Delosa said the victory by the women's soccer team was particularly important to the culture of sports on campus.

"It is good to not rely on one sports team," he said. "It contributes to the general athletic atmosphere."

McCabe said she was excited about the team the Irish defeated on the soccer pitch.

"I think it's great how they beat Stanford," she said. "Its cool how in a way they avenged the football loss earlier in the year."

Teixeira said once her roommate arrives home, she is in for a treat.

"I decorated her side of the room, and the whole dorm made signs," she said.