SMC Basketball: Belles beat Comets on the foul line

Clutch free throw shooting down the stretch helped Saint Mary's hold on to beat Olivet Tuesday and grab its first conference win of the season.

The game was hotly contested throughout, as neither team led by more than eight points. The Belles (6-2, 1-1 MIAA) were victorious despite being outrebounded 37-21 and giving up 11 second-chance opportunities to the Comets.

The key to victory for the Belles was their free throw shooting. They shot 15-18 from the line and made their last six with the game still hanging in the balance to seal the win.

The Belles had a diverse offensive attack against Olivet. They ended up with four players scoring in double figures.

Junior guard Patsy Mahoney scored 15 points and was a perfect 6-6 from the line, including 4-4 in the final fifteen seconds. Junior forward Jessica Centa scored 10 points and grabbed eight rebounds while freshman guard Shanlynn Bias was a key contributor with 14 points.

The Belles standout in this game, however, was junior forward Kelley Murphy, who notched 24 points and 13 rebounds in a dominating performance.

The Belles defense also stood out. They limited Olivet's leading scorer, junior guard Debbie Nikodemski, to just six points on 2-5 shooting from the field. Junior forward Alysia Cole was a bright spot in the Comets defeat with team highs with 18 points and seven rebounds.

The Belles will take the court on Saturday at 3 p.m. at home against MIAA foe Alma College.