Heritage' dinner to honor Moreau

Saint Mary's will be hosting a French-themed dinner in honor of the feast of Father Basil Moreau.

The dinner — which will be held on Wednesday in the Noble Family Dining Hall from 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. — will feature French dishes in honor of Moreau's French heritage.

According to an e-mail sent to the student body from Barry Bowles, director of dining services, dishes include food items such as Coq au Vin, a chicken dish with mushrooms, burgundy wine and brandy. Other dishes include Salade Verte Assortie, Róti de Boeuf au Poirve and Pommes Lyonnaise.

A bread and cheese display will also be included with the meal. A dessert station with assorted pastries and a variety of desserts will also be available.

Sr. Mary Gude, vice president of Missions, said the dinner was held in honor of the founding of the College and Moreau's contributions.

"Saint Mary's College is a Holy Cross school," Gude said. "The Sisters of the Holy Cross began teaching young women in 1844, a year after they came from Le Mans to the United States. From those beginnings evolved Saint Mary's College, under the guidance of Mother Pauline."

The dinner will be part of Saint Mary's College Heritage Week, a week celebrating the history of the College. Heritage Week. The week is sponsored by the Student Government Association (SGA) and will begin Monday.

According to Gude, the dinner has become a tradition at the College, and is held annually on or near Moreau's feast day.

"It's become a family tradition or ritual to remind us who we are," she said.

Gude said it is important to honor Moreau's feast day because he was such an influential person in the founding of the College.

"In a very real sense, without his vision, we would not be here at all," she said.

Moreau was the founder of the brothers, sisters and priests of Holy Cross, Gude said.

"Saint Mary's College is one small piece in a vast mosaic of Holy Cross ministries," she said. "The family of Holy Cross serves in 16 countries and five continents. And it all began with Basil Moreau."

According to the e-mail, the dinner is open to all students with I.D., regardless of whether or not a meal plan was purchased. Faculty and staff are also invited to attend with I.D. cards.

In addition, the e-mail said family and friends of the College, as well as guests of the community were invited to attend. The cost for a meal is $4.39.