Legends touts 'best lineup'

With its web page advertising this semester's list of acts as "Our Best Lineup Ever," Legends of Notre Dame Nightclub is not mincing words this spring. The statement is supported with a video trailer promoting the array of artists performing at the nightclub this spring.

Aaron Perri, general manager of Legends, said the spring lineup is remarkable because of the variety of acts.

"I try to pick a lineup that contains a wide variety of entertainment, to appeal to the broadest range of people. We have some of the best concerts, comedy and variety acts from across the country," he said. "Our concerts span every genre and style, from rock to indie, to hip-hop and country. We hope there is something here for everyone."

Perri said Legends will feature nearly 60 acts over the course of the semester, with a top-heavy lineup.

"More than half of [the artists] are nationally touring acts, the same acts you would pay $20 to $50 to see in other cities," he said. "I think we'll have numerous shows that hit capacity. There are no real low points on our lineup."

Perri, who has been in charge of booking the professional entertainment at Legends for the last seven and a half years, said he has been arranging the lineup since last October, just finishing in mid-January. While variety is important, practicality is a major consideration, he said.

"At the end of the day, the booking process comes down to availability and affordability," Perri said.

The bold advertising and planning this spring is a continuing hallmark of Legends, Perri said.

"Each semester we try something new and cutting edge," he said. "We kicked this year off with an ambitious video marketing trailer and we'll continue with our innovative marketing campaigns all semester."

Perri said Legends operates like any professional nightclub, doing 95 percent of its own event planning. During the semester, Legends allows the Student Union Board (SUB) to host several shows.

SUB manager Julia Sutton said this freedom of planning has allowed the organization to contribute to Legends' already stellar lineup, which includes Super Mash Bros., Big Sean, Axis of Awesome and John Mulaney.

"I feel like we have a really good variety of acts. There will be something for everyone," she said. "Everyone on campus can get out to Legends and enjoy it this semester."

Sutton said SUB has planned a variety of acts, ranging from more established groups to up and coming artists. She said SUB tends to focus on newer artists, who appeal to a wide range of students.

"Because we do our big concert outside Legends, we like to do up-and-coming stuff inside," Sutton said. "Our primary purpose is to program for the entire student body, so we want to take as many tastes into account. We're focusing more on quality of act."

One thing SUB is trying differently this semester is bringing in slam poet Anis Mojgani, Sutton said.

"We usually stick to comedy, but we thought Anis was too good to pass up," she said.

While Legends may be advertising this as its "best lineup ever," Perri said Legends is simply continuing to strive to be one of the best live entertainment venues in America.

"A couple of years ago Pollstar named Legends as one of the top 12 nightclubs in the country for live entertainment," he said. "It's important to note that we are not simply competing against nightclubs at other college campuses. We had a great lineup that year, but I believe this year is even better."