Men's Soccer: Record three senior players selected in MLS SuperDraft

Three Notre Dame men's soccer players were selected in Major League Soccer's (MLS) 2011 SuperDraft with an additional Irish player being selected in the league's supplemental draft.

The draft was held Jan. 13 in Baltimore.

Midfielder Jeb Brovsky, defender Bilal Duckett and forward Steven Perry, all seniors, were selected over the course of the three-round draft for senior collegiate players or players who have otherwise been signed by MLS. Senior goalkeeper Phillip Tuttle was selected in the follow-up supplemental draft held Jan. 18.

Brovsky was the first Irish player taken after being tabbed with the 19th overall pick by the expansion Vancouver Whitecaps FC. Brovsky overcame an early-season injury in 2010 to start all twenty matches for Notre Dame, notching four goals and an assist while powering the Irish midfield.

Duckett joined Brovsky in Vancouver when he was selected 18 picks later with the 37th overall selection. Duckett started 40 of 42 matches at right back over the course of the past two seasons for Notre Dame as part of a defense that posted 14 shutouts in that time.

Perry was picked up by the New England Revolution with the 39th overall pick after a 2010 campaign that saw him post career-highs in goals (12) and assists (4) for Notre Dame while playing as the sole forward in coach Bobby Clark's offensive formation.

Tuttle joins the San Jose Earthquakes after being selected 33rd overall in the supplemental draft. Tuttle suffered an injury while working out with the California-based club in the summer, but returned in time to start 13 matches for the Irish and notch two shutouts while tending the net through Big���East and NCAA tournament play. He joins 2009 Notre Dame graduate Justin Morrow on the Earthquakes.

The three players selected in the official SuperDraft order ties a program record for Notre Dame that was posted in 2005, and brings Bobby Clark's total of players selected by MLS during his decade at Notre Dame to 18.