Men's Track: Notre Dame records seven wins at relays

Notre Dame continued its strong season this weekend with seven total victories at the Indiana Relays in Bloomington, Ind.

The Irish showed their depth this weekend in both distance and middle distance events, as well as in field events. Senior Spencer Carter and junior Joe Miller stood out in the distance events as Carter took first in the 5,000-meters and Miller won the 3,000-meter race. The Irish claimed the top-three spots in the 600-meter race as senior Kevin Labus took first and was followed by fifth-year Jack Howard and junior Mitch Lorenz, and sophomore Jeremy Rae took first in the 800-meters.

Notre Dame's 3,200-meter relay "B" squad took first while the "A" group came in second.

Junior Kevin Schipper took first in the pole vault, besting the field with a clearance of 5.20 meters. Junior Andy Hills also found the top podium spot with his 18.12-meter shot put throw.

"I was pretty happy with my performance," Hills said. "I've been waiting to have a good day for a few weeks now. It was really nice to throw well, and to throw an indoor personal best was especially satisfying."

Notre Dame's depth will be critical as it advances to the end of the indoor season, especially with the annual Meyo Invitational taking place on campus next weekend. The Meyo meet is the last event before the Big East Championships, which the Irish took first in last year. Hills said he is confident his team can pull through once more.

"We should have some big performances at the Meyo [Invitational], people always go really hard there," Hills said. "After that, we'll have Big East Championships, and that's the one we really want. Hopefully we can repeat."

Notre Dame's Meyo Invitational will begin at 5 p.m. Friday at the Loftus Sports Center.