Catherine Soler and Emily LeStrange

Who They Are

Student body presidential candidate Catherine Soler, a junior from Farley Hall, is an accounting major. Vice presidential candidate Emily LeStrange is a political science and American Studies double major, formerly of Howard Hall and currently living off campus. Soler is the current student body president and LeStrange serves as Off-campus Concerns chair in Student Senate.

In Their Words   

• Top Priority: Soler and LeStrange plan to make student government a resource for student needs, with services ranging from tutoring, expanded sexual assault resources and a basketball ticket exchange.
  • First Priority: The ticket pledges to enhance dorm life through talks with school administration, rectors and hall presidents. Soler and LeStrange hope to make changes, like improving kitchen supplies and offering student input in hiring rectors.

In Our Words

• Best Idea: Soler and LeStrange want to get student input on what fast food restaurants will occupy the LaFortune Student Center when leases begin to expire in 2012. They also plan to give students more say in what items are sold at the Huddle.
  • Worst Idea: Study Space availability assistance. The team wants to design an interactive website to help students find open study spaces on campus, but the real problem is the rush of students ambushing study spaces around midterms and finals.
  • Most Feasible Idea: The ticket's Student Employment Reform and Job Fair is a two-pronged approach to improve on-campus employment. Revamping the current job board requires some technological streamlining but is plausible. Additionally, this year has proved campus fairs, such as the off-campus housing fair, can be effective for student needs.
  • Least Feasible Idea: Taxi reform, while a strong idea, would be difficult to implement. Although students use taxis regularly, this task might be too large.
  • Fun Facts: Soler, a native of Oyster Bay, N.Y., only eats New York pizza, and LeStrange is proud of her nickname "Bellatrix" after the "Harry Potter" villain.
  • Notable Quote: "Emily and I would be honored to serve the student body and hope that our experience is an advantage." — Soler

Bottom Line 

Soler and LeStrange tout their experience and current positions in student government as instrumental in the transition period in between student government administrations. Their top priority of using student government as a greater resource for students seems obvious and somewhat vague, but their platform contains specific goals such as a heated bus stop and a multicultural food festival. Given their experience, their goals are all feasible. They would also continue current relationships with local law enforcement and community representatives.