Dance Marathon sets record charity goal

With 12 hours of dancing, crafts, activities and performers, Saint Mary's Dance Marathon has teamed up with Notre Dame in the hopes of raising more than last year's total of over $77,000 for the Riley Hospital for Children. 

Meaghan Curliss, senior and vice president of Dance Marathon, said organizers of the event set high expectations.

"Our goal is always to beat the year before," she said.

This year's Dance Marathon will begin March 5 at noon and end at midnight.

Senior Colleen Trausch, dancer relations and recruitment chair, said the group is on its way to matching last year's total with 100 dancers signed up from Saint Mary's alone. She said they do not know the number of Notre Dame participants yet.

Curliss said the committee hopes to increase the number of dancers.

"We want more participants — people who will stick with the cause," she said.

Children from the Riley Hospital for Children and their families will be attending the event.

"Participants will really have a chance to see a tangible effect on the children whose lives they are helping," Curliss said.

The night will also include crafts, activities, inflatables and food for the dancers. Local bands will perform, and there will be a DJ for the entire event. Chipotle, Papa Vino's, Red Robin, Hot Box and Subway will be available.

Curliss said she appreciates the participants coming out for a good cause. 

"I'm really excited," Curliss said. "I really hope everyone can come out. It's a great event to see how much this can impact and really change lives."

Those who are not registered are still invited to come.

"It's a really rewarding event," Trausch said.

To register for the event, students are asked for a $15 donation, which can be done today and Feb. 28 to March 4 in the Student Center Atrium during lunch and dinner hours. Notre Dame students can register online by searching Riley Children Foundation at www.nd.edu. Donations can be made through Saint Mary's Dance Marathon's website, www.smcdancemarathon.org