RHA brings home top program award

Saint Mary's Residence Hall Association (RHA) faced nine other RHAs from Indiana universities and colleges and brought home eight awards from the Indiana Residence Hall Organization Conference (IRHOC), which was held at Purdue University from Feb. 4 to 6.

The awards for the College included Best Display, Best Roll Call and Top Program. The group's winning program was entitled "Don't Talk Your Diet to Me." Senior and RHA president Marianne Jones presented the program alongside fellow senior and RHA member Jessie Robbins.

Individual awards went to Jones and Katherine Nelson for Four Year Service Pins, Holy Cross Hall director Christine Mihalopoulos for Advisor of the Year, and Robbins received an Outstanding Service Award.

"We went with high energy and it all paid off in the end," Robbins said. "I'm really proud of the group we brought to IRHOC, and was proud of all the ideas other schools liked about Saint Mary's. "

The Saint Mary's group at the conference included five members of RHA, two resident advisors and the president of the College's Straight and Gay Alliance (SAGA).

In order for the group to be nominated for individual awards, Laura Glaub, senior and National Communications Coordinator for RHA, said she put together bids for each nominee.

"I nominated Marianne Jones for Student of the Year, Jessica Robbins [for the] outstanding service award and Christine Mihalopoulos for Advisor of the Year by writing a 10 to 20 page bid with a theme that defined them," Glaub said. "The 10 to 20 bid included what they have done during their time at Saint Mary's, a letter from me why I think they deserve it and then other examples of what they have done to make our RHA improve."

According to members of the group, Glaub led the group to its success during the weekend.

"The biggest reason SMC was so successful this year at IRHOC was because of Laura Glaub," Jones said. "She spent countless hours preparing us with matching shirts for spirit, getting all of the supplies for the banner and display and writing five 15 page bids. She was a true inspiration and deserves recognition."

The whole group put forth a collective effort for the event by meeting two hours every week for the month leading up to competition.

Mihalopoulos, who works as a supervisor for resident advisors on campus, said the opportunity to work closely with RHA in preparation for IRHOC helps inspire improvement throughout the campus.

"I love working with the extraordinary students in RHA," Mihalopoulos said. "It is important to me that they continue to grow as student leaders on campus, and because of this, I try to provide as much guidance and support to these students to ensure they are successful in their positions."

Not only did Saint Mary's RHA present its ideas to other students, but the weekend was also a chance for them to learn new things from other universities and colleges at the conference, Jones said.

"Attending these conferences allows RHA to bring back ideas for improving [Saint Mary's,]" Jones said.