SMC Basketball: Belles join opposing Albion for Pink Zone game

Winning will not be Saint Mary's only objective this weekend in a trip to Albion.

Not only will the Belles (15-7, 8-5) be looking to improve their MIAA record, but they will be playing for a cause, as they join forces with the Britons (12-10, 10-3) to participate in the Women's Basketball Coaches' Association Pink Zone initiative, to raise awareness for breast cancer. Proceeds from the game will support the Kay Yow Cancer Fund.

"Albion is a big game for us," Belles coach Jennifer Henley said. "They have very solid guard play and their post player [junior center Patty Rewa] is having a great year. We need to focus on our defense and find ways to disrupt their offense."

The Belles' last game was almost a week ago, when they defeated Trine 68-57. Henley hopes her team continues to play well.

"I thought we did a great job on the boards against Trine," Henley said. "I thought we had a solid defensive effort the entire game and I really like our transition game."

Henley also recognizes that there are always areas for improvement.

"We still had some unforced turnovers that we need to limit, and we need to finish our shots in the paint," Henley said.

With a whole week between games, the Belles have had ample time for preparation.

"Having a week between games has been good for us," Henley said. "It allowed our team to catch up and work ahead academically, and it allows a much-needed rest all the way around. We have been able to refocus for the last stretch of the season."

With only three regular-season games remaining, the Belles are looking ahead and are hopeful for a strong postseason showing.

"At this point we are certainly looking to host the last three games and be able to host the first round of MIAA play," Henley said. "In postseason play, anything can happen. We are going to take one game at a time and work very hard to extend our season."

Saint Mary's tips off at Albion at 3 p.m. Saturday.