The whole story behind condemnatation

The letter "Story behind condemnation" (Feb. 21) did well to inform us about the origins of why homosexual activity is condemned. However, even though it gives a side that I had yet to fully consider, pagan rituals, it still fails to give the entire story.

What the letter was saying was the fact that homosexual relations lack procreation is not the reason why it is condemned, but because it was involved in pagan rituals. Infertility is not the only condemning characteristic, but it is a key factor as to why it is deemed sinful. What Mr. Bailey failed to notice is that this view truly is in the Bible. In Genesis 1:28 (NAB), God instructs Adam and Eve to "be fruitful and multiply." Now, hold back your objections for just a second. I accept that many parts of the Bible should not be taken literally, and Genesis, the Creation Story in particular, is a prime example. However, the appropriate action, in this case, is to find out the meaning behind these words and what the story is trying to teach us. From the creation story, we learn that the ultimate purpose of a union between two people is to procreate, or "make babies." A union between two men or two women, obviously does not fulfill this purpose, thus going against God's plan.

So further strengthening that the homosexual act, not orientation, is a sin, there are now two strong arguments. One, that it took place in pagan worship and God wants us to abstain from such activity so that we may be closer to him. And two, it is indeed condemned because of infertility as the Bible shows us in Genesis, one of our foundational and well-known stories, the Creation Story.

Allison Kincaid

sophomore

Le Mans Hall

Feb. 21