Association concludes term-end initiatives

The Student Government Association announced that progress was made in its dorm printer initiative and discussed the final stages of the LeMans Hall renovation Wednesday.

"The printer has been purchased and will be arriving in the next week or so," student body president senior Rachael Chesley said. 

The printer will be installed in Holy Cross Hall's lobby near the existing computer station, and will be available for student use for the remainder of the semester.

At a previous meeting, members voiced concerns regarding limits on individuals' use of the printer. Chesley spoke with sales representatives from several printing companies to gather more information about limiting time and pages printed during a single session.

Chesley said the sales representatives indicated such controls would have to be implemented by the campus Information Technology (IT) department. As the IT department is not supporting the initiative, the controls are not yet available.

"We said it was going to be a trial run of sorts, and we will post a list of rules with it," she said.  "If printers are going to be installed in all of the dorms in the future, a relationship with and support from the IT department would be necessary.  All we can do is work to keep the technology issue an ongoing priority."   

In an effort to prevent abuse of the printer, there will be signs posted stating a proposed time limit for individual student use. The desk worker's duties will now including supervising printer usage.

The other major project wrapping up in the final weeks of the current administration, the LeMans Hall basement renovation, is well underway. Chesley said the walls have been painted and furniture and entertainment technology have been ordered. 

"We've accomplished a lot in these past couple months, and now we're waiting on seeing the results of our hard work," Chesley said.  "I can't believe how fast this year is winding up.  These initiatives are going to be a great way to end the year."