Bengal Bouts: Semifinals 142 Pounds

Nick "Bronco" Bortolottidef. Nick Rowek

Senior Nick Bortolotti won methodically in his match against junior Nick Rowek. As the match progressed, Bortolotti improved and adjusted to Rowek's fighting style.

In the early round, Bortolotti used quick combinations to break down Rowek's guard and back away. Rowek struggled to get close to Bortolotti, turning the match into a defensive battle for Rowek.

Bortolotti landed longer combinations in the second round as he started to move around Rowek's guard more successfully. After Rowek landed a few counters, Bortolotti unleashed huge punches close to the end of the round.

In the third round, Rowek used his reach to finally get to Bortolotti. But Bortolotti ended the fight with two long series as he backed Rowek into the corner. The last series forced the referee to end the bout in the third round in Bortolotti's favor.

Will "The Thrill" Peterson de. Jackie "The Forgetful Housecat" Garvin

Will Peterson was victorious against Jackie Garvin, as the battle between the two sophomore fighters highlighted their similar fighting styles. The victory puts Peterson into the finals for the second year in a row.

The fight started slowly with both boxers getting a feel for each other's styles as they exchanged punches. Late in the round, Peterson landed a few solid punches to pull ahead.

Garvin came back in the next round with a swing in momentum. By controlling the middle of the ring, Garvin forced Peterson to move around. But because of the movement, Peterson more easily found weak spots in Garvin's defense and took control of the match.

Early in the third round, Peterson continued to control the match's pace. Garvin responded by becoming more aggressive and closing in on Peterson. Eventually, Peterson used quicker punches in the close quarters.

Peterson's overall control of the match gave him the unanimous decision.