Men's Tennis: No. 25 Notre Dame defeats USF, Dayton

The No. 25 Irish made quick work of two opponents Sunday, earning back-to-back victories over No. 50 South Florida and Dayton at home.

Notre Dame downed USF by a score of 6-1 with the only loss coming at No. 1 singles, where No. 73 Lucas Jovita defeated No. 58 Casey Watt 6-2, 7-6.

"Although Casey lost at No. 1, he showed a lot of courage by electing to play after an injury last week," Irish coach Bobby Bayliss said.

Irish sophomore Spencer Talmadge and junior Niall Fitzgerald defeated Jamal Adderley and Jovita at No. 1 doubles, 8-3.

Senior Stephen Havens and junior Casey Watt defeated Romain Deridder and Yannick Yoshizawa by the same score.

Freshman Greg Andrews and senior Tyler Davis defeated Wael Kilani and Federico Sabogal 8-4 at No. 3 doubles.

"We jumped on them at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles and really never looked back, winning both," Bayliss said. "We made an adjustment at No. 1 when they handled our two-back formation better than we anticipated and got more aggressive and got into the net more on their serves."

Havens defeated Kilani 7-5, 7-5 at No. 2 singles, while senior Dan Stahl defeated Adderley 7-5, 6-3 at No. 3.

Andrews won easily at No. 4 singles against Yoshizawa, dropping only one game.

"In singles I certainly did not expect the domination we got from Greg Andrews and Blas (Moros)," Bayliss said.

Moros, a sophomore, did not drop a game in his victory over Juan Carlos Acuna Gerard.

Fitzgerald was able to defeat Sabogal in the closest match of the day in three sets 6-2, 6-7, 1-0 at No. 5.

In the second match of the day the Irish easily defeated Dayton.

Senior David Anderson and Stahl topped Benton Benalcazar and Andrew Hanley 8-0 at No. 1 doubles, while senior Matt Johnson and freshman Ryan Bandy defeated Alex Crum and Robert Salcedo 8-1 at No. 2 to clinch the doubles point.

Seniors Sean Tan and Bryan Kelly beat Sean Bandy and Sam Pecyna 8-1 at No. 3 doubles.

Davis earned a win at No. 4 singles over Crum 6-2, 6-1 to give the Irish an early 2-0 lead.

Moros was next off the court defeating Benalcazar 6-1, 6-0 at No. 2 singles.

Freshman Michael Moore increased the Irish lead to 3-0 with a win at No. 5 singles,

Andrews rolled over Hanley, not dropping a game in his first appearance at the No. 1 position for the Irish.

Talmadge defeated Phillip Dresden 6-2, 6-0 to give the Irish a 6-0 lead, and Anderson defeated Pecyna 6-1, 6-2, to give the Irish the sweep.

Notre Dame will next travel to Ball State University to take on the Cardinals with first serve set for 2 p.m. in Muncie, Ind.