Saint Mary's announces class election results

Saint Mary's announced class board election results Monday for the 2011-12 term.

Maggie DePaola and Noelle Radko won class of 2012 president and vice president, Torrie Thompson and Heidi Etzel will lead the class of 2013, and Elliot Miller and Rachael Bridgman won the positions of president and vice president for the class of 2014.

DePaola and Radko said they have high hopes for their senior year.

"We really want to unite our class and make this last year a memorable one," DePaola said.

Radko said her experience on this year's junior class board would help her to continue representing the class of 2012.

"Being on the board for the past three years [has] made me extremely passionate about the class of 2012, and the mark we hope to leave, not only on Saint Mary's, but on the South Bend community as well," Radko said.

Radko said she and DePaola would prioritize building on already existing events for the senior class, rather than creating new events.

"A very successful Senior Dads' weekend is definitely our top priority," Radko said. "We are currently planning Junior Moms' Weekend, so we feel comfortable to accept this challenge. We also want to make our Senior Week affordable, highly interactive and unified."

The pair said they also hope to see more student feedback from the class of 2012.

"[DePaola] and I also plan to increase student input in senior activities, as we hope to make our final year at Saint Mary's our best," Radko said.

As leaders of the junior class board, Thompson and Etzel said they hope to increase involvement and foster relationships both on Saint Mary's campus and between the Notre Dame and Saint Mary's communities, they said.

"We hope to build on the foundation that was begun during the past school year," Etzel said. "We are introducing new activities such as our Notre Dame Boy Basket Auction and Class Picnic."

The pair said they also look forward to leading the junior class in previously held activities.

"In addition to these new ideas, we are excited to plan the traditional Junior Formal and Junior Moms' Weekend," Etzel said. "With our class board, we hope that our plans for this year will make it the best yet at Saint Mary's."

Etzel said they would like to leave a memorable impact on the class of 2013.

"We ran for president and vice president of our class because we love being involved in the Saint Mary's community," Etzel said. "With our involvement, we hope to create strong bonds and sustain lasting friendships among our classmates while acting as a positive influence within the Saint Mary's College community."

As leaders of next year's sophomore class, Miller and Bridgman said they hope to plan laid-back and frequent activities.

"[Miller and I want] to encourage more students to voice their opinions about hot topics at Saint Mary's and plan more fun, informal events," Bridgman said.

Miller said they are ready to jump in and begin planning things such as Sophomore Parents' Weekend and Sophomore Formal.

"[Bridgman] and I have so many ideas," Miller said. "We are both very enthusiastic about planning events for our classmates."

Miller said she wants to generate pride for their class and the College.

"As president of Saint Mary's Class of 2014, I hope to represent and lead my classmates in such a way that encourages each woman to love [Saint Mary's] as much as I do," she said.