Saint Mary's to face conference foe Olivet

The Belles will look to extend their winning streak to three games against MIAA conference foe Olivet College at the Saint Mary's tennis courts at 4 p.m. Wednesday.

Saint Mary's (7-5, 1-1) is coming off a dominating weekend sweep of Trine College and North Central College, winning by margins of 9-0 and 8-1 respectively.

Meanwhile, Olivet (8-4, 1-2) ended its five match winning streak in a 5-4 loss to Adrian College Sunday.

For the singles' competition, the Belles' number two player, senior Jessica Kosinski, will face the Comets' number two, Giana Guerra, who holds an 8-2 record in singles play.

"[Guerra] is very tricky to play against," Saint Mary's coach Dale Campbell said. "She hits a lot of spin and is a fighter."

Meanwhile, the Belles' number one singles player, senior Jillian Hurley, victorious in six of her last seven matches, will face the Comets' Caitlin LaValley, who holds an 8-4 record.

In doubles play, Saint Mary's vastly improved this weekend, going a perfect 6-0 in matches.

"We played very well [in doubles] and are starting to put some things together," Campbell said. "However, we still want to be much better against some of the stronger foes in our conference."

Campbell was especially impressed with the doubles tandem of freshman Mary Catherine Faller and Kosinski, who went a combined 16-1 in sets in their two weekend victories.

Following the Olivet match, the Belles will leave for three road matches in four days starting Friday.