The other lover

Caitlin Housley (Apr. 8) admitted to the world that she and Jimmy John's were having an affair. Caitlin said that she was so ashamed by his unabashed affection that she hung her head as she handed him $6 for her #12, no avocado.

Therein lies the real confession: Caitlin didn't tip her delivery driver. The Beach Club, with delivery fees, costs exactly $6 so if she shyly handed "John or Rob" $6, then she failed to tip John or Rob — a man (or woman) who is paid less than minimum wage hourly, only earns 5 percent of the dollar amount of his delivery orders (so on this order, only 30 cents) and has to put mileage on his own car and fill up his tank with gas that costs nearly $4 per gallon. And in the wonderful state of Indiana where there are no break laws for adults, it's a distinct possibility that Caitlin's lover has been working for over eight hours and has yet to take a break or eat. Perhaps a little communication between Caitlin and Jimmy John would've revealed that it's astonishingly inconsiderate to fail to tip someone who brings you food for a living.

If it wasn't obvious, I'm a Jimmy John's delivery driver. I'd like to preface by saying that most Notre Dame and Saint Mary's students tip — but the fact remains that of the customers who do not tip, the majority come from Notre Dame, Saint Mary's and Holy Cross which is blood boiling to say the least. The economic and social privilege of a Notre Dame, St. Mary's or Holy Cross student is unfathomable. By virtue of the fact that you have a roof over your head and are receiving a world-class education, you are wealthier and more successful than 99 percent of the entire world.

The fact that you would begrudge someone an extra dollar or two is, to put it bluntly, a disgrace and it shows a complete ignorance of your own privilege. It might be frustrating to pay $7 for a $5 sandwich, but if you don't want to, don't buy it. Walk to the dining hall, walk to Recker's, walk off campus. Don't force someone who makes less than minimum wage, who relies on your tips, to drive to your very doorstep and then refuse them a tip. That is not proper behavior for someone educated at one of the world's finest Catholic universities.

For all of the Notre Dame, Saint Mary's and Holy Cross students who tip generously: I thank you tremendously. You pay my rent. More importantly, you pay the rent of my co-workers, many of whom have multiple jobs and children for whom to provide. For those of you who don't tip your drivers, start tipping them. Failure to do so brings shame upon you, the schools which have educated you and your families.

Mary C. Young

graduate student

off campus

Apr. 10