Floyd to plead case in June

Junior wide receiver Michael Floyd will appear in court at 8 a.m. June 7 to face charges of operating a vehicle while intoxicated after his court date was rescheduled from Monday.

Defense attorney William Stanley appeared on Floyd's behalf Monday as the state officially brought its charges against him and presented the court documents for the case. Floyd faces a misdemeanor charge for operating a vehicle while intoxicated and was not required to appear at the hearing. He could receive a maximum sentence of one year in the St. Joseph County Jail and a $5,000 fine.

The defense must still review the police narrative of Floyd's arrest before making any decisions, Stanley said, but the attorney expects an eventual guilty plea.

In accordance with courthouse procedures, the court documents for Floyd's case currently list a "not guilty" plea because Floyd has not yet entered an official plea on his charge.

Floyd was arrested March 20 on campus after he was pulled over by the Notre Dame Security Police at the intersection of Angela Boulevard and Notre Dame Avenue for running a stop sign. Floyd failed three field sobriety tests and was then administered a breathalyzer test, which recorded .19 grams of alcohol per 210 liters of breath. Indiana's legal driving limit is 0.08.

Irish coach Brian Kelly suspended Floyd indefinitely from all football activities beginning March 21. After attending a meeting with the Office of Residence Life in April, Floyd remained suspended from football but was allowed to continue his education as he prepares to graduate next spring.

The 2010 Football Most Valuable Player became Notre Dame's all-time leader in touchdown receptions (28) and second all-time in catches (171) last season. He was elected captain before spring practice began, but Kelly stripped Floyd of the title after the March 20 incident.