ND Women's Golf: Notre Dame seniors bring leadership, experience

As the Notre Dame women's golf program has risen to the top tier of the NCAA during the five-year tenure of Irish coach Susan Holt, seniors BeccaHuffer and Katie Allare have played integral roles in the team's success.

As two of the three returning players who helped lead their first ever NCAA championship appearance last season, Huffer and Allare offer leadership and experience this season and are joined by highly touted freshmen Ashley Armstrong and Kellie Oride.

"Our team definitely possesses depth," Holt said. "There isn't one single player we have to rely on, as everyone, one through five, is capable of performing."

Even with such a complete squad, Holt will look to her two seniors to continue to lead the way they always have. Huffer, a native of Denver, Colo., made an immediate impact on the team her freshman year and has competed in all Irish golf events since.

As the 2008 High School Female Athlete of the Year in Colorado, Huffer entered the team with high expectations. The three-time All-Big East honor winner led the squad her freshman year with a 75.55 stroke average, earning the title of Big East Rookie of the Year. In her sophomore year, she cut her stroke average to 74.90 to again lead the Irish in that category.

As a junior last season, Huffer garnered her best ever finish in an individual tournament, placing second in the John Kirk/Panther Intercollegiate last March. Her score lifted the Irish to a first-place finish in the tournament.

Huffer also placed in the top 10 in tournaments on four occasions throughout the season. At the NCAA Championships, she finished tied for 24th, shooting a 296 over four rounds of tournament play.

Allare does not boast quite the collegiate experience, as she did not receive any tournament action her freshman year. However, she served as a team captain for her Phoenix, Ariz. high school and captured 10 straight Arizona state golf championships spanning her time there.

As a Notre Dame sophomore in the 2009-10 season, Allare saw action for the first time, appearing in three events and posting a respectable average of 81.0 strokes per round.

This past season, Allare dramatically improved her average to 78.3 strokes per round, seeing action in six tournaments. Her best finish occurred at the Mary Fossum Invitational, in which she shot a career best 230 for three rounds and finished tied for 15th place.

Holt believes Allare will take equal strides forward in improving her game her senior year. The Allare-Huffer tandem will once more lead the Irish in their attempt to return to the NCAA tournament, she said.

Contact Matt Unger at munger3@nd.edu