Recovering Sr. Garcia discharged

After making an impressive recovery, the Notre Dame senior who fell from his third-floor apartment window only two weeks ago was released from Memorial Hospital on Thursday.

Marcus Garcia, 21, fell about 25 feet from his apartment window in the Foundry Lofts & Apartments at Eddy Street Commons on Aug. 25 around 4:30 a.m. An employee at a local bar saw him fall as she was leaving work for the evening and called 911. He was then transported to Memorial Hospital.

Garcia's parents, Juan and Kimberly, arrived in South Bend from their home in Turlock, Calif., on the evening of Aug. 25.

His mother regularly posted Facebook updates for Garcia's friends and family members to track his progress.

Kimberly Garcia updated a public page titled "Pray for Marcus Garcia" on Wednesday to announce her son would be well enough to leave the hospital.

"Plans are to be released sometime tomorrow," the post stated. "We will need to stay close here to the hospital rehabilitation center as he will have daily rehab workouts along with the many scheduled doctor's appointments."

Garcia will need another jaw surgery in the next week, her post stated.

"INCREDIBLE that here we are just two short weeks later with him being released, and yes, all in one piece (maybe screwed and wired and stapled together) but in one piece," her post stated.

"Hopefully the next few weeks will go by quickly, and Marcus' strength and progress will continue to amaze us all and his body will be ready for the trip back home. Please keep us in your prayers, God close to your heart and your faith stronger than ever."

In an email interview earlier in the week, Garcia thanked his friends and family for their support during his recover.

"As I get ready to begin my rehabilitation, I want to extend my deepest heartfelt and emotional thanks to every single one of you — my family, my friends, many who I have yet to meet and the entire Notre Dame family — for lifting me in prayer and support," he said.