Run to raise alcohol awareness

The residents of Lyons Hall will honor a former Lyonite killed by a drunk driver with its signature event, the Mara Fox Run, on Saturday morning.

Lyons Hall president Vivien Devaney said the dorm established the event to educate students about the consequences of driving while drunk.

"The run was established as a memorial for Mara, who was killed by a drunk driver during her freshman year [in 1993]," Devaney said. "It's the culmination of the week when we educate girls about alcohol use and drunk driving."

The 5-k event also raises funds for a scholarship in Fox's name.

"The proceeds go to the Mara Fox Scholarship fund that goes toward any Lyonite who wishes to study in Toledo, Spain, because Mara wanted to study there," Devaney said.

Lyons residents also sold purple hair feathers in the dining halls and LaFortune Student Center this week to benefit the scholarship fund.

Sophomore Rebecca Rossi said the run connects current Lyons residents with Fox's legacy.

"The Mara Fox Run is about keeping her spirit alive," Rossi said. "I feel like I know Mara even though I never met her."

Fox's parents will have dinner with Lyons residents Friday evening, Rossie said.

Freshman Allison McKown purchased a hair feather Wednesday.

"I want to participate because it's a good cause," McKown said. "I want to raise awareness about drunk driving."

As part of the Mara Fox Week events, Lyons hosted a PILLARS gathering about "Women and Alcohol" on Wednesday night.

Freshman Antoinette Chan, who attended the event, said the entire week encourages students to think about all types of wellness.

"The run promotes both physical and mental well-being," Chan said.

Freshman Alexa Vega said she was excited to participate in the run Saturday morning.

"It's my first 5-k at Notre Dame, and I get to help a good cause at the same time," Vega said.

Devaney said the race would also feature music and free giveaways for participants.

"The music's supposed to be really good this year, and we have a lot of people participating," Devaney said. "We encourage people to come out. The race is at 10 a.m. on Saturday, and the registration is at 9 a.m. outside of Lyons. If you participate, you will get a bib for a buy-one, get-one free entrée at Chipotle."

Registration tables for the race are located at both dining halls and in LaFortune Student Center. Runners can also register Saturday morning.

"Through the event planned by Lyons Hall and her parents, Mara's memory lives on," Devaney said. "Hopefully the weather holds out this year, so that it can be a good event."