Senate discusses The Shirt

President of The Shirt 2011 Committee senior Lauren Marzouca described the application process to join next year's Shirt committee at Student Senate's meeting Wednesday.

Marzouca said the first step is choosing the next president.

"We're looking for freshmen, sophomores and juniors," she said. "Seniors wouldn't be here next fall to tie up loose ends."

Other ideal qualities include leadership skills and experience working in small groups.

"If you're all combining to make one T-shirt, you're all going to be picking the color, the graphic, the quote," Marzouca said. "You have to be willing to compromise."

Marzouca said experience with design or artistic ability is not necessary to apply.

"We normally have one graphic designer on the committee so no one needs Photoshop or Illustrator or any of that," she said. "I've never touched any of that and I've been on the committee for two years."

The president's term would be one full year, from the beginning of October until the beginning of October next year.

For the first few months, Marzouca said the president's time commitment would be a little over 10 hours per week, as he or she needs to choose the committee as well as which company proposal to accept.

After the committee is chosen, the president would be working 10 hours per week or less.

Applications to be a committee member will be released soon after the next president is chosen.

"It's a really great thing to do," Marzouca said. "We've sold over 115,000 shirts as of the Friday before the first home football game."

Marzouca said The Shirt 2006 holds the record for most shirts sold at 156,000.

"We're looking to break the 2006 record," she said. "We're 31 percent ahead of last year's sales already right now."

Applications for president are due Oct. 5 and can be found at www.theshirt.nd.edu