Senate works to improve communication, safety

Student Senate worked on improving both student safety and its own communication at its meeting Wednesday evening.

Senate passed a resolution proposing to install a Blue Light Phone at the intersection of Twyckenham Drive and Courtney Lane.

Off-campus senator Helen Costa first recommended this idea at the Sept. 7 Senate meeting. Costa said she often felt uncomfortable walking between campus and her housing complex.

"I definitely think we need more patrolling around the areas by the soccer fields and tennis courts," Costa said. "It'd be nice to have a camera or a phone, I'm always afraid someone will run out and jump you."

Community relations chair Erika Hansen said although there are Blue Light Phones right before and right after the corner, the corner remains problematic.

"It's an uncomfortable corner, there's not much light and there are tall bushes," she said. "It's definitely an area of concern considering how many people go back and forth from there all day and all week long."

Hansen said the electric and phone wires are already in place at the corner and so it will not be difficult for this resolution to become a reality.

Welsh Family representative Marcy Kreimier also introduced the senators to student government's Google site.

The site, accessible through the senators' and committee chairs' Gmail accounts, enables the Senate to stay updated on each other's projects even in the days between meetings.

The main feature of the sight is a student government calendar, which contains all the upcoming events of the senators and committees, Kreimier said.

The site also contains links to each committee page.

"Every committee has its own page where the chairs can list

their pet projects, as well as upcoming events or any announcements," Kreimier said. "On each project page you can make suggestions or comments directly on it and it will go right to whoever is working on that project."

Campus Technology chair Yiting Zheng said the senators are also able to subscribe to different projects and pages.

"If you subscribe to a page you'll get a notification every time something changes on the page or when someone comments on it," she said. "It'll be really helpful if you're the one working on the project."