SGA chooses projects for the year

Saint Mary's Student Government Association (SGA) focused on choosing initiatives for the year at its second meeting Tuesday.

Members primarily discussed revamping the Student Center and Dalloway's Coffeehouse, particularly changing furniture to make the space more welcoming.

Amanda Lester, public relations commissioner, said the current environment in the Student Center is not optimized for student use.

"We should make the Student Center more student-friendly," she said. "We need to make it so that it's true to its name."

Karen Johnson, vice president for student affairs, said replacing the furniture would go a long way in making the space more suitable for students to study and socialize.

"Adding new furniture to the student lounge would be beneficial and more comfortable for students," she said.

Members said the Women's Resource Center in the Student Center was one area that was in particular need of renovation. They said the space could be better publicized to students and would also benefit from redecorating.

Student Services commissioner Laura Glaub said SGA should make efforts to increase student awareness and use of the center.

We should "make it more [actively used] and engaging," she said.

SGA also discussed the location of the Saint Mary's Grotto. The Grotto is currently located behind the Congregation of the Sisters of the Holy Cross building.

Chief of staff Emily Skirtich said the location is inconvenient and possibly dangerous.

"It's very dangerous to go back there due to the river changing paths, and some of the Grotto has been eroded," Skirtich said.

Skirtich said gauging student interest in moving the Grotto to a more central location would be important in deciding whether to go forward with it.

"The first step of course would be providing information to students to see if they are interested in making this new Grotto," she said.