SMC Cross Country:

The Saint Mary's cross country team braved the heat in their season opening race Saturday at the Hokum Karem meet at Wabash College. The team finished third with a group score of 29.

Both DePauw, a top-10 team from last season, and the University of Indianapolis finished ahead of the Belles.

Saint Mary's senior Joanne Almond and junior Julia Kenney finished fourth in the relay (23:42), just three seconds behind the third place tandem and five seconds after the second place finishers. Juniors Emma Baker and Angela Nebesny finished 16th (25:40), while sophomore Collette Curtis and junior Sarah Copi finished 18th (26.00).

Junior Elizabeth Majewski and freshman SameeChittenden came in 22nd overall (26:30), while Liz Krupp and Mandy Wolf finished 32nd (27:57).

Belles coach Jackie Bauters said the Hokum Karem was a great way to start the season.

"We really got an idea of where we are as a team with our fitness and speed, and also we got an idea of what our pack is able to do," Bauters said.

Bauter said she was impressed with her team's performance, especially since the Belles graduated a strong group of seniors in May.

"What I saw from Saturday's race is a very strong base and fitness in our ladies —something that will provide us with the foundation for a great season," Bauters said. "I am excited to see how the pieces will come together in our first five-kilometer race in two weeks."

Kenney said she is anxiously anticipating the team's progress throughout the season.

"Saint Mary's cross country has a talented, motivated and devoted group of competitors, and I look forward to the exciting outcomes that will unfold over the rest of this season," Kenney said.

The Belles will participate in the Calvin Invitational at Calvin University in Grand Rapids, Mich. on Sept. 17.

Contact Walker Carey at

wcarey@nd.edu