Women's Interhall: Cavanaugh routs PW in another shutout victory

Cavanaugh 12, Pasquerilla West 0

Cavanaugh continued its stout defensive play in a 12-0 victory over Pasquerilla West Tuesday.

The Chaos (2-0) have not allowed a score yet, recording two shutouts in their first two games.

Cavanaugh took the lead for good midway through the first half with an 18-yard touchdown pass from senior quarterback Rebecca Cink to senior receiver Megan Robertson. Senior captain Brittni Alexander rushed for a 15-yard touchdown to seal the victory in the second half.

"I think we played awesome," Alexander said. "I'm so excited for our team. We did really well."

Alexander hopes the Chaos will continue to show the amount of energy they have in the first two games.

"Our energy the whole game and our communication [were the keys to our victory]," she said. "We came out and did exactly what we practiced."

Pasquerilla West (0-1) failed to achieve offensive consistency throughout the game, as the Purple Weasels were kept out of the red zone the entire contest.

"We made some big penalties on offense and defense that killed our momentum," senior captain Alison Lindeen said. "We're going to look to control those in the future."

The Purple Weasels are hoping to improve by their next game.

"We're disappointed in the loss," Lindeen said. "We just have some first game kinks and jitters we need to work out."

Pasquerilla West looks to recover Sunday against Pangborn, while Cavanaugh has a bye before taking on Breen-Phillips Oct. 2.

Welsh Family 27, McGlinn 8

Welsh Family looked virtually unstoppable in its 27-8 win over McGlinn Monday night at the Flag Football Fields.

Coming off a 13-0 win over Pasquerilla East Sunday, the Whirlwind (2-0) utilized a potent spread offense that racked up 253 total yards, routinely coming out in the shotgun with multiple receivers and no running backs.

Junior quarterback Vicky Moreno showed her accuracy, completing 23 of 27 passes for 249 yards and four touchdowns. Junior receiver Kirsten Groody and senior receiver Natalie Baldasare each had one touchdown reception while senior receiver Charlotte Seasly contributed a pair of scores.

The trio combined for 21 receptions and 236 yards.

"We came into the game with a lot of energy," Moreno said. "We got protection from the offensive line and I just let the receivers do the rest of the work."

Meanwhile, the Shamrocks (1-1) had a tough time moving the ball on offense, thanks in large part to a swarming Welsh Family defense. McGlinn managed just two first downs in the entire first half. The Shamrocks picked it up in the second half, managing to score on their final possession, a seven-play 66-yard drive that culminated with a three-yard touchdown pass from senior quarterback Lauren Miller to senior receiver Kate Tucker.

"Their defense was stout," Miller said. "They really contained our offense."

McGlinn, who beat Lewis 24-14 Sunday, hopes to get back to its winning ways next week.

"[Next game] we'll look to improve," Miller said. "We still have a lot to learn."

Welsh Family will try to remain undefeated Sunday against Lewis while McGlinn squares off against Lyons.

Ryan 28, Walsh 21

It was a wild Monday night game with the Wildcats topping the Wild Women 28-21.

Junior quarterback Maya Pillai led Ryan (2-0) and served as a powerful dual-threat force in the win over Walsh (0-1). Pillai ran for 58 yards and passed for 135 yards with four passing touchdowns, going 12-for-16.

Pillai looked mainly to sophomore receiver Maddie Swan who finished with two touchdowns and 90 yards receiving. Senior captain and running back Brianna Curtis also ran for 79 yards and had 43 reception yards with one touchdown.

"The power of the offense comes from the mustache," senior coach Ryan Quillard said.

Quillard has one of his players draw on a mustache with eye black before every game. This tradition is one that keeps the Wildcats having fun, and will be continued throughout the season.

On a more serious note regarding Ryan's offensive prowess, Swan gave all the credit to her quarterback.

"Maya threw some incredible passes up for me and it made my job easy today," Swan said.

Ryan's defense also forced some key turnovers, including two interceptions and two turnovers-on-downs.

The Wild Women credited the Wildcats for their relentless attack.

"Pillai had a great game," junior captain and quarterback Kat Leach said. "They came up with some successful plays and we were unable to adjust."

Though Leach started to lead a late game offensive surge of her own, the clock ran out too soon.

"We showed in the end that our offense and defense can play," Leach said. "We just need to put it all together sooner."

The Wild Women look to reorganize against Pasquerilla East on Sunday, while the Wildcats have a bye week and look to keep their ‘stache streak rolling against Welsh Family Oct. 2.

Howard 28, Breen-Philips 7

Howard found redemption from its Sunday loss by snagging a victory over Breen-Phillips 28-7 Tuesday evening.

"We definitely took a hit last week," Howard senior captain Jenny Gassner said. "But after losing, [the team] has shown more energy and dedication, especially the freshman players."

That energy and dedication were reflected on the field as the Ducks (1-1) scored on their first drive, led by freshman quarterback Lauren Gabel.

Gabel, a newcomer to the Ducks squad, led the team to two touchdowns in the first half. Junior quarterback Katharine Mack helped to rally the Ducks to two more scoring drives in the second half.

"[The team] is really happy with how well our new quarterbacks filled in and performed under pressure," Gassner said. "After losing key players, we need that leadership on the field again. I think we will be able to ride the energy from winning into practice and the next game."

Breen-Phillips (0-2) did not go down without a fight, though. The Babes were able to pressure the Howard offense to six incomplete passes and two punts.

The Breen Phillips offense had some weaknesses, throwing four interceptions throughout the game. But senior captain Maria Lynch was able to find the end zone in the last minute giving the Babes their first touchdown in two years.

"[The team] hasn't scored since our freshman year." Lynch said. "So, this truly is a new beginning for the team. It's a personal victory."

Breen Phillips looks to rebound as they face Farley this Sunday, while Howard looks to continue its trek to the stadium as it takes on Badin.