Council reflects on USC night game

The Council of Representatives reflected on the various changes to the gameday experience implemented for the USC game at its Tuesday meeting.

Oversight chair Ben Noe said holding the game at night for the first time in over 20 years at Notre Dame Stadium enhanced the overall experience.

"I thought it was the most exciting game atmosphere in the stadium I've ever felt," he said. "I think the whole night-game concept went really well."

Council members voiced a number of opinions on the piped music, perhaps the most notable addition to Saturday's game.

Senior class president Anne Huntington said she enjoyed the addition to the usual band music, but felt it was overdone.

"I don't know if it had to be played so often," she said.

Noe said he did not think the recorded music detracted from the usual band performances and that it helped increase excitement among students.

"I think we had a fairly pleasant balance between the band and the recorded music," he said. "I think the canned music also got the students a little more riled up."

Junior class president Kevin Doherty said the contrast in genre made the recorded music a welcome addition.

"A lot of students have said they're sick of hearing the Celtic Chant six times in one drive," he said. "I think it was a welcome change just because it was something different."

Huntington said a more modern approach could invigorate the crowd.

"Our band is awesome, but they're playing a traditional march and USC was playing DJ Khaled," Huntington said.

Student body vice president Brett Rocheleau agreed.

"[The band's songs are not] really songs you sing to, except the Victory March," Rocheleau said. "If they play music people will sing to, they'll get the student section more riled up."

Student Union treasurer Eric Biro added that a more mixed opinion on the new music among the student body than the council members could lead to its discontinuation.

"Unless we get a big outcropping of student support for the music, we may not get it again," he said.

Student body president Pat McCormick suggested the possibility of a Student Senate resolution to formally recommend the continuation of the canned music.

First Undergraduate Experience in Leadership (FUEL) director Ricky Bevington reminded members to consider the views of the marching band members.

"If [the resolution] is something you might do, you have to consider all groups on campus, especially the band. They feel like they're being left out, neglected," he said. "It's very traditional at Notre Dame that the band provides the music. It's unique."