Inside the Band

The Band of the Fighting Irish is the nation's oldest college band, as the announcer proudly proclaims at every home football game. The band has not missed a home football game since it performed at the first Notre Dame vs. Michigan game in 1887 and continues to rouse the crowd of Irish supporters to this day. Here, Scene provides a closer look at the many Notre Dame Marching Band traditions.

Halftime shows

No football game would be complete without a halftime show, and the Band of the Fighting Irish knows how to wow the stadium with their fun, melodic and intricate halftime performances. The band plays everything from classic rock to Lady Gaga and incorporates dancing and movement so well it can even form the perfect shape of the United States of America.

Gameday performance at Bond Hall

Each Saturday of a home football game, the band merges on the steps of Bond Hall 90 minutes before kickoff to play Notre Dame's own cheers, as well as songs from their halftime shows. The performance is the perfect way to start a football game, getting the masses who watch into the spirit of the day. Fans can then follow the band as they march from Bond Hall to Notre Dame Stadium.

Drummers' Circle

Each Friday night before home football games, the Notre Dame drumline heads out to Main Building at midnight to play a drums-only set of both Irish cheers and popular new songs. The show highlights the many members of drumline, who play everything from snares to symbols and always draws a big crowd, rain or shine.

Playing from the sidelines

The Notre Dame Band is an important component of every game. Their many songs and chants lead the fans as they cheer on the Fighting Irish. They even keep us entertained during timeouts and other breaks in the game.