Swarbrick addresses students

Notre Dame Director of Athletics Jack Swarbrick stopped into both campus dining halls during lunch Wednesday to challenge and caution students.

"We have a really important football game the Saturday you return from fall break," Swarbrick said to a full dining room in South Dining Hall, referring to the Oct. 22 game against USC. "I need two things from you to make that night successful."

Swarbrick acknowledged a hotly contested sentiment among Irish fans, commented on the energetic atmosphere, or lack thereof, of Notre Dame Stadium and encouraged the Irish student body to take matters into its own hands.

"I need your passion," he said. "I travel around with our team, and our stadium is the quietest place we play. I want you guys on that Saturday night at least once to make USC have a false start penalty."

To close his two-minute cameo and let students return to their meals, Swarbrick reminded them that though it may be a night game, usual behavior would be expected.

"We haven't had a night game here in a long time because people are concerned about having a game that late and the consequences it will have on our conduct," he said. "You can solve that problem. So help us on that Saturday night to make the loudest, most raucous, but safe environment in college football."