Rowing: Irish face Hoosiers in Indianapolis

As the weather gets colder, Notre Dame's fall season continues to wind down. It will face in-state rival Indiana in its penultimate race of the fall season in Indianapolis on Sunday.

The Irish are coming off of a strong showing at the Head of the Charles race two weeks ago, where they were led by junior Abby Meyers at coxswain. Sophomore Molly Bruggeman led at stroke, sophomore Olivia Kacsits at the third seat, senior Erin McConnell at the second seat and sophomore Courtney Gaberino at bow.

The team finished with a time of 18:40.01 and a fifth-place finish.

Bruggeman said Indiana will provide a formidable test to the momentum the Irish have gained in recent weeks.

"The pieces are very similar to what we have been doing in practice and it's another opportunity to go fast," Bruggeman said. "This weekend is a great opportunity to get to race a team that we know performs well and that we will see later in the spring season."

The Hoosiers also had a strong performance in their last race. They finished eighth in a 49-crew race field at the Princeton Chase last weekend.

Bruggeman said the race will show a lot about the team's improvement and is a good launching point for the spring season.

"This race is also to see how well we have developed over the course of the fall in comparison to another program," Bruggeman said. "With the results of this race, we will be able to build off our strengths and continue to conquer our weaknesses as we move our training indoors for the winter and continue to look ahead to the spring."

The race will take place Sunday in Indianapolis. The time of the race has yet to be announced.