President Jenkins reorganizes staff

University President Fr. John Jenkins announced Tuesday three staff members will assume new positions in his office over the next month, according to a University press release.

Frances L. Shavers, chief of staff and special assistant to the president, has been appointed to the newly created position of chief diversity officer. According to the press release, Shavers will focus on staff diversity, assist in diversity efforts with students and faculty and provide advice on how the University can continue to improve its efforts in this area.

Ann M. Firth, associate vice president and counselor to the president, will become chief of staff. Firth was formerly associate vice president for student affairs.

Firth will work in the Office of the President to manage staff, act as a liaison with the Board of Trustees and plan the University Commencement Ceremony.

Firth and Shavers will assume their new roles March 5.

Fr. William M. Lies, executive director of the Center for Social Concerns, will assume the new position of vice president for mission engagement and church affairs March 19.

Lies will take on key responsibilities previously assigned to the Office of the Counselor to the President. He will also coordinate with Church leaders and look to sustain and enhance the contribution of Holy Cross to Notre Dame, according to the press release. Lies will also have ecclesial responsibility for the University's Tantur Ecumenical Institute in Jerusalem.