SMC Basketball: Belles close regular season with home game

Having already clinched a berth in the MIAA tournament, Saint Mary's will take on Kalamazoo on Saturday looking to pick up momentum heading into the postseason.

This will be the last regular-season game for the Belles (12-12, 8-7) before they compete in the newly restructured four-team MIAA tournament starting next week.

"We are looking forward to playing at home to finish out the season," Belles senior guard Patsy Mahoney said. "We are ready to work hard and take care of business."

With a playoff spot secured, Saint Mary's will use its game

Saturday to prepare for postseason play.

"Looking to next week for our first-round game, we are excited to play Calvin for the third time and show them a team that is not ready for our season to end," Mahoney said. "We are doing new things to prepare and think we have the mentality to come out and win the first round [playoff] game and continue on."

The game will also serve as a special occasion for many of the Saint Mary's players. The game will serve as Senior Day for the Belles, as it is their last regular season home game.

"This last home game is full of mixed emotions," Mahoney said. "I am sad that it is my last home game at Saint Mary's, but I also know that it doesn't mean my season is over since we have at least one more game the following Thursday for the first round of the MIAA tournament."

Saint Mary's features a core group of seniors who will be honored Saturday. These players include seniors Mahoney, forward Kelley Murphy, forward Jessica Centa, guard Maggie Ronan and guard Katie Sullivan.

Mahoney said their time together has brought the seniors close on and off the field.

"Playing on this team has definitely made me a better person as well as a better player," Mahoney said. "The friends I have made on this team over the years are lifelong and I know I will always be able to count on them for anything I need."

Saint Mary's seniors will play their last home game Saturday at 3 p.m. when the Belles take on Kalamazoo.