SMC hosts Midnight Madness

The Saint Mary's College Student Activity Board (SAB) hosted Midnight Madness on Wednesday night to celebrate school spirit and build excitement for the midnight announcement of this year's SMC Tostal performer, Sammy Adams. 

Junior SAB member Anna Vaughn said the event unites students from all class years for a night of light-hearted games and activities. 

"The purpose is to bring classes together in fun competition," Vaughn said. "Everyone comes together not only as a class, but also as a school." 

SAB set up a variety of activities, including dodgeball, "minute to win it" games, hula-hoop contests, an Oreo-eating contest complete with milk, a relay race and a tug-of-war competition. Senior Emily Skirtich said the night's events foster both competition and community among Saint Mary's students. 

"I love the class competition aspect of Midnight Madness," Skirtich said. "It's a great way to bring a sense of community to our school. And I love the ‘minute to win it' games."

Vaughn said students were encouraged to wear clothes in their respective class colors, with seniors in blue, juniors in green, sophomores in pink and first years in purple. 

The South Bend community also contributed donations to Midnight Madness, Vaughn said. 

"We also try to promote community businesses as well," Vaughn said. "We were able to get a lot of donations from local businesses." 

Businesses such as Bruno's Pizza, Salon Rouge, Dairy Maid and the Shaheen Bookstore donated prizes for many of the Midnight Madness games and activities. 

First year Maeve Curly said she was excited to participate in activities at her first Midnight Madness. 

"I think [Midnight Madness] is so much fun," Curly said. "And I really like how it encourages school spirit at Saint Mary's." 

First year Kelly Crooksesaid she was impressed by the hard work SAB put intoemaking the event a success. 

"They did such a nice job promoting the event," Crooks said. "It showed me that it must be a great way to support the school as well."