Association prepares for upcoming turnover

Saint Mary's Student Government Association (SGA) discussed last week's election and prepared for the upcoming student government turnover, which will take place April 1.  

SGA chief of staff Emily Skirtich said she was pleased with this year's election turnout.

'There was a lot of participation," she said. "Elections went really [well] and just the physical presence was good."

Skirtich said 86 percent of the student body voted in the elections for Student Activities Board, Student Diversity Board and the Residence Hall Association.

The election for the class of 2015 presidents resulted in a tie, and the tiebreaker vote will take place next week. Campaigning is allowed to continue until the election.

Skirtich said students should "continue to encourage voting" in next week's runoff election.

SGA also discussed the association's new constitution. Student body vice president JacqualynZupancic said the constitution should get approved next week.

The constitution is 12 pages long, and all members of SGA are instructed to read it to propose changes before next week.

Zupancic said this final overview is crucial.

"It's important that we get this constitution approved and accurate because we have a new structure," she said.

SGA also proposed holding an event to introduce the College's new leaders, including Michael Boehm, the new chief information officer.

SGA technology commissioner Maureen Parsons will coordinate the event, which will take place later in the semester.

Parsons said the event would be a good forum to "explain the timeline of initiatives that students are interested in."

Student body president Nicole Gans said she expects the event to be successful.

'There is a lot of potential," Gans said. "This is great for students to get their voices out there and being able to understand the changes."

Next week will be the current members' last meeting and they will turnover their duties to the new students in their positions.