Dialogue still needed

Thank you to everyone involved in bringing Loyal Daughters and Sons to Notre Dame's campus this year. From those who were brave and generous enough to share their stories, to the writers who interviewed them and faithfully adapted the stories to the script, to the actors who portrayed them with sensitivity, to the crew who facilitated every aspect of the performance, to the producer and director who so skillfully shaped LDS — you crafted a moving performance and I'm grateful I had the opportunity to witness it this weekend.

During the performance, I laughed at some skits, I cried at others. I nodded in agreement to some, clenched my fists in response to others. Throughout it all, I was proud of the students involved and awed by the power of their convictions and their commitment to bringing these stories to life. I was hopeful that this performance would spark an important dialogue on campus.

And so I was doubly upset to receive the email from NDSP on Saturday informing us that yet another sexual assault had taken place on campus this weekend. My thoughts and prayers go out to the student who was attacked. And I urge all Notre Dame students to accept the call to dialogue issued by Loyal Daughters and Sons that this weekend's event proves is sadly still needed.

The play's program says it best: "A play about sexual violence and sexuality, ‘Loyal Daughters and Sons' is based entirely on interviews with Notre Dame students. Through this performance we hope to share the diversity of experiences and beliefs at Notre Dame, as well as the struggles and strength of survivors of sexual violence, in order to promote awareness and foster discussion about sexuality and its place at this school."

Abigail Palko

Director of Undergraduate Studies

Gender Studies Program

Mar. 4