Ex-worker pleads guilty

A former University employee in Notre Dame's Office of the Registrar pled guilty to four counts of voyeurism last week in the St. Joseph County Superior Court.

Don G. Steinke was originally charged with one count of voyeurism, but the State of Indiana added three more counts on Feb. 28, according to court documents.

The state agreed not to file any further charges arising from investigation of the case, according to court documents. As part of the plea agreement, a six-year cap was placed on any total executed sentence Steinke receives.

On March 7, 2011, a woman found a pen camera aimed at the toilet on the floor of a women's bathroom in Grace Hall. The pen camera was turned over to Notre Dame Security Police (NDSP), according to court documents. Steinke allegedly admitted to placing the camera in the women's restroom with the intent to retrieve the camera and download the recorded video content.

Notre Dame declined to comment further on the additional charges.

"We were made aware of the camera, we investigated it and made the arrest," University Spokesman Dennis Brown said. "We disabled the operation and worked closely with the prosecutor and law enforcement. We're confident that the criminal justice system would play itself out appropriately and that certainly is what has taken place."

St. Joseph Superior Court Judge Jerome Frese took the plea under advisement and set sentencing for April 26 at 9 a.m.