Group seeks location for bike shop

In the first meeting after spring break, Campus Life Council (CLC) members discussed the possibility of reopening the Notre Dame Bike Shop.

Student body chief of staff Claire Sokas said the Bike Shop was displaced when part of the Art, Art History & Design Department moved to the Old Security Building, where the shop was previously housed. Student advocates are trying to find a new space to work from, she said.

"It has no place to function, so it doesn't exist right now," Sokas said. "They're looking into a lot of options, but no one has stepped forward to offer a place."

Student body president Pat McCormick said mechanics at the shop repaired approximately 331 bikes in the 2010-2011 school year.

Sister Carrine Etheridge, rector of Farley Hall, said the Bike Shop offered an important service to students on campus.

"The campus has expanded so much, you almost need a bicycle," she said. "And if you're a freshman with no car, where else do you go if your bike breaks?"

Members of CLC also discussed other ways to aid students in on-campus travel.

Etheridge said an auction for old bikes would be helpful for students.

McCormick said Student Senate would discuss a resolution calling for the University to take definitive actions to make space for a bike shop before the fall semester.

"It will continue in a sustainable way, using salvaged parts and student mechanics," McCormick said. "I'd also like to introduce a resolution expressing Campus Life Council stakeholders' support to see if we can engage some other partners on campus as we move forward."